Monday, January 4, 2021

Our Republic in The News

 Over the last two weeks we may have caught wind of a number of developments in our nation's current events. Take a moment to share a link of a news story that you wish others to know about. The only criteria I ask for is that it be something that appears credible. : )

Please reply to two others' links with comments.


61 comments:

  1. Well this article is about Trump pressuring the Georgian Secretary of State by saying that he should "find" more votes. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/03/us/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is important because Trump will have to leave office very soon.

      Delete
    2. This is just a last minute effort to try and twist the election results by going to court, etc.

      Delete
    3. This article really shows Trump's desperation, which is just sad.

      Delete
    4. I agree with Max completely, the fact that he is still trying to find voter fraud mimics a bird continuously flying into a window, picking up no knowledge as it tries again and again.

      Delete
    5. This is in blatant defiance of our democracy. Further, he and other major Republicans like Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley are launching a borderline coup, so it's important we keep an eye on their persistent efforts to overturn a fair and honest US election.

      Delete
    6. To quote a former advisor to Obama, "he's acting like a mob boss, and not a particularly smart mob boss at that"

      Delete
    7. This just shows how much Trump will try to flip the election in his favor.

      Delete
  2. https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html
    Some update on the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting because 4.2 million seems like a lot but the U.S does have a lot of people.

      Delete
    2. This is important because the vaccine has been going through controversy lately and people need answers.

      Delete
    3. Just read the article, I expected the rate of vaccines to be higher, the amount of people taking it 4.2 million I expected 10 million ish.

      Delete
    4. Everyone needs to know about this, it might seem like having a vaccine will put off the virus, but we still need to have people vaccinated as well, 4.2 million people is not enough.

      Delete
    5. This is especially important right now with the new virus strain from the UK.

      Delete
  3. https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/23/22197868/andrew-yang-mayor-new-york-city-dcampaign-emocratic-primary-election

    Andrew Yang is filing paperwork to run for NYC Mayor, he was a former presidential candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has a decent shot at winning. He has name recognition, plenty of funds, a decent platform, and people are generally unhappy with De Blasio so anyone running from the establishment will be somewhat unpopular.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I don't even know how New York would be impacted by that but if he does win I feel like there would be a great level of change made.

      Delete
    3. Not sure how he would be as a mayor, would be an improvement at least.

      Delete
  4. https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-04-21/h_d4dfdf7e69b584eadf2ee395bffe3a27

    I think this article is important because it shows the progress that has been made in the vaccine, but it also shows the processes' shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really like this kind of article and I think it is very informative because it has so many articles in it collected in one place

      Delete
  5. Both of these articles are important for us to understand, because they show people in a dire need of assistance, which for at least the first subject, has not been provided practically at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

    an interactive article on the covid vaccines, how they work, and how that affects their pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is very informative as it can help educate people about the vaccine and how they impact us.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Editing error-
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nancy-pelosi-reelected-house-speaker-117th-congress/

    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was re-elected on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need constant awareness on world crisis going on around the world right now, these articles are really important for us to understand and speak out about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these articles are so important because we cannot forget about other crises just because of covid. Instead we have to think about how covid intersects with these issues, and we need to think about how to deal with these in the current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article is important because we have to learn about what is happening and that there are other issues then Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This article shows the possible future of US-China relations as they have been soured under the Trump administration previously.

    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2021-01-01/china-senior-diplomat-says-us-relations-at-new-crossroads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow the news too much, so seeing things like this is very informative.

      Delete
  13. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/04/world/middleeast/iraq-economy-debt-oil.html
    Iraq's economy is starting to collapse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems interesting, I wonder what could happen to Iraq from this point on

      Delete
    2. Its honestly really difficult to find reliable news about other countries unless it's about america's relations with them, so thanks for sharing this

      Delete
  14. I had already heard of the crisis and Yemen and the persecution of Uyghurs, and I think that people need to pay attention to both of these, there are many terrible things going on in the world, but we turn a blind eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/04/world/covid-19-coronavirus
    Covid epidemic and vaccine updates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sort of news is really important

      Delete
    2. I think is very important news as it's important to stay informed about the pandemic and the vaccine

      Delete
    3. This news is not only really important, it is regularly updated which provides us with very quick and accurate news.

      Delete
  16. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/science/dna-caribbean-islands.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=160987789&algo=identity&variant=no-exp&imp_id=558946039&action=click&module=Science%20%20Technology&pgtype=Homepage


    I found this article simply interesting and really cool how we can find out things like this now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that this is pretty interesting, since I like learning about DNA topics and ancient stuff.

      Delete
  17. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/wikileaks-julian-assange-cannot-be-extradited-u-s-face-espionage-n1252660

    The controversial man behind WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, cannot be extradited to the U.S as ruled by UK court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wikileaks was the start of the internet whistleblower era, and Julian Assange started wikileaks. Wether you agree with him or not, he os an important figure.

      Delete
  18. I agree with many classmates commenting under this, too often issues outside the U.S are ignored or disregarded simply due to the amount of attention the U.S and coronavirus receive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/02/new-covid-strain-b-117-explained/4112125001/

    This seems important, it can cause more people to become infected, which will lead to more deaths, and longer shut downs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it's not a dramatic and more dangerous genetic shift, it's still a huge cause for concern. The scary thing is that this may not be the last mutation of the virus.

      Delete
  20. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

    The president is blatantly defying our democracy and calling upon governors, people who have absolutely nothing to do with our elections, to "find" votes in his favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary how outright convinced Trump sounds in those recordings. I've heard people say he knows he's lost but I think he might still be going through the anger and denial phases of his five stages of election grief.

      Delete
  21. It's incredibly important that we stay aware of issues happening in foreign countries, especially humanitarian crises like these. We need to be calling upon people in power to put this to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  22. https://www.fox5dc.com/news/dc-says-no-guns-allowed-during-maga-election-protest

    The District of Columbia won't be letting "election protesters" open carry guns in to town on January 6th. If they want to flaunt their weaponry, they will have to parade around while illegally armed in their protest of a certified election. (Not a good look, in my humble opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly I was a bit surprised but also happy to see this, because usually this kind of stuff just gets waved off

      Delete
  23. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/nyregion/nyc-schools-admissions-segregation.html Article about some changes to the DOE admissions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was quite an interesting read, and I actually do want to see what becomes of the new changes.

      Delete
  24. As deaths and hospitalizations continue to rise in NY state, Gov. Cuomo is pressuring hospitals to speed up the distribution of the vaccine with the threat of fining up to $100,000.

    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/04/world/covid-19-coronavirus/cuomo-threatens-to-fine-hospitals-if-they-dont-step-up-the-pace-of-vaccinations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its good to see that our governor is trying to make sure that out state doesn't go back to the condition it was

      Delete
    2. Adding on to Fatama, I'm glad they are taking decisive action and are trying to hurry the process, though it does make me feel wary of it all.

      Delete
  25. Honestly, the world seems pretty bad when you look at the news, but there are some good spots among the bad. here are a few scary and a few happy stories.

    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/4/reckless-israel-shot-dead-at-least-27-palestinians-in-2020

    https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/1/4/jack-mas-disappearing-act-fuels-speculation-about-whereabouts

    https://www.cnn.com/specials/asia/hong-kong-protests-intl-hnk

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/27/us/man-knitting-group-addiction-trnd/index.html

    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/03/world/space-missions-2021-scn-trnd/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. We need to stay educated on problems outside the U.S and how we could possibly help to keep everybody safe instead of worrying about only ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  27. https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/06/05/philippines-new-anti-terrorism-act-endangers-rights
    this is an article about an anti terrorism bill that uses an overbroad definition and restricts the rights of/endangers many citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  28. New corona virus variants increased in the UK
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/12/why-new-coronavirus-variants-suddenly-arose-in-uk-and-south-africa/

    ReplyDelete
  29. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/04/world/covid-19-coronavirus

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hong Kong activists stories.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/17/asia/hong-kong-exiles-and-inmates-dst-hnk-intl/index.html

    ReplyDelete

“The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.”

  “The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.” - Thomas Jefferson     The retired Thomas Jefferson wrote a  letter  to his frien...