Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Pilgrims Promise

The document written by the Pilgrim leader William Bradford that we read and the animated video that we watched offer an introduction to the very small group of migrants that in 1620 built one of the few lasting English American settlements, Plymouth Plantation.

Below, share a detail that you learned from the video and/or document that was previously unknown to you. There will be something : )




21 comments:

  1. I did not know that a Native American called Samasett helped the pilgrims survive by teaching them to plant and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that half of the colonists were wiped out during the first winter months in the Americas. I previously thought there was a much lower number of casualties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that the 30 children survived while half of the adults were sick or dying. I had assumed that a few children must've passed away like some of the adults due to the harsh conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that there was debate between the captain on whether or nit they should retreat back to England. I did not know that the 30 children had to take on the work of the adults while the adults were sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that a native american named Samasett taught the pilgrims how to survive in the New World

    ReplyDelete
  6. surprised that Squanto not only taught the pilgrims how to farm, hunt and fish but also guided them across profitable areas. Squanto stayed with them until he died which surprised me. I wonder why he was so loyal to the pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know that Squanto did not leave the pilgrims until he died I always thought he only helped them for while and not the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know that the children were almost entirely unaffected by the illnesses that killed so many adults. I assumed they were effected equally, but apparently that wasn't the case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know that the Mayflower was damaged badly, and she almost headed for home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had actually forgotten that many of the passengers still stayed on the Mayflower despite reaching land, so the video helped me remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that the children, for the most part, weren't killed or affected by diseases that harmed seriously everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found it surprising that there were significantly fewer child deaths then adults. Maybe they were better protected and fewer dutys?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not know that the crew of the Mayflower as well as the pilgrims considered sailing back to where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found it surprising that they almost went home but decided to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know just how bad the voyage was for the pilgrims, with the ship being damaged during the voyage, the pilgrims not finding a good spot to settle for a while, and even when they did the rampant illness that struck them kept them from working at full capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was not aware of the huge role that the younger people played in this voyage. They were less affected by illness and struggle and had to take on a lot of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know that so many of the children survived, and I also didn't know how fish was used to plant corn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did not know that the Mayflower almost had to turn back to England because of a broken beam nor did I know that Squanto would be a guide to the people for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know that only 6 to 7 adults were healthy enough daily, which led to the kids having to work like the adults since they were much more healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did not know that the people on the Mayflower almost decided to go home due to the ship being damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was surprised that children weren't as seriously impacted by the virus as it did cause large damage to others

    ReplyDelete

“The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.”

  “The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave.” - Thomas Jefferson     The retired Thomas Jefferson wrote a  letter  to his frien...